TEN TOP TIPS ON HOW TO BEAT CONDENSATION
15th December 2017
Is you home or business property suffering from wet windows, dripping walls or black mould? Then it is very likely you have a condensation problem. Fortunately these problems can often be very easy to solve.
- Keep your home well ventilated by opening windows and drip vents every day.
- When you are cooking always turn the extractor fans on in the kitchen on a high power and leave it on for a while after cooking for any excess moisture. Also open kitchen windows for extra ventilation.
- After taking a bath or shower, open the bathroom windows should be opened and extractor fans turned on. Try to keep the bathroom door shut as much as possible so the moisture doesn’t escape into other parts of your home.
- If drying clothes indoors, keep the windows open. If you use a tumble dryer to dry your clothes it is extremely important that the ventilation pipe runs to the outside of your property.
- You should leave a small gap between the walls of your home and your furniture as this allows the air to move away from the bottom of the walls and circulate around the room.
- Your property’s airways such as airbricks and chimneys should be clear to allow airflow in and out of your home.
- During the winter and at other cold times of the year you should try to maintain a constant temperature in your home. This is because it is cold air that causes the warm air to release moisture. If the air is all the same temperature then this cannot happen.
- Always keep the lids on pots and pans whilst cooking so that the moisture does not escape from the pans.
- Check the guttering and down pipes, make sure that they are carrying the water away and that there are no damaged/blocked guttering or drainpipes causing the external wall to become soaking wet
- Check your roof to see if there are any problems such as water leaking in.